Question: Can I use Avira and SpywareBlaster together?
SpywareBlaster is built to be compatible with other security tools, including Avira, as part of a multi-layered approach to security. Avira’s warning that SpywareBlaster is “incompatible” with Avira and must be uninstalled is incorrect and misleading. Ignore the warning, and continue using SpywareBlaster without issues.
The Long(er) Answer:
If you install a recent version of Avira, you may see a warning that you “must” uninstall various potentially “incompatible” software. Although various other anti-virus programs are listed (if installed), so too are security tools like SpywareBlaster, Spybot S & D, and others.
SpywareBlaster is compatible with Avira. In fact, SpywareBlaster is built to be compatible with and complement all other legitimate security software. The warning that Avira’s installer displays is inaccurate and misleading. Some have called it a “scare tactic”.
Here are the facts:
- SpywareBlaster does not have any “active” components. There is nothing that remains running constantly in the background to possibly interfere with other software.
- SpywareBlaster works by making configuration changes to your browsers to help block the installation of spyware, cookies, and restrict the actions of unwanted websites.
- All of the changes SpywareBlaster makes are changes you can make. In fact, you can do things like adding items to your Restricted Sites list and changing per-site settings for cookies from within your browser itself.
If Avira were incompatible with SpywareBlaster, Avira would also be incompatible with core functions of your web browser and Windows itself.
Simply put: You can ignore Avira’s warning and continue using SpywareBlaster.
- If you have installed Avira and already followed its prompt to uninstall SpywareBlaster, you can reinstall SpywareBlaster from here. You’ll only benefit from multiple layers of protection.
- If you are installing Avira and see a prompt to remove SpywareBlaster, you can continue without uninstalling SpywareBlaster by clicking the “Next >” button.
- If you would like to explore alternatives to Avira, there are many great options available (including many for free). All of them work great alongside SpywareBlaster, and SpywareBlaster complements all of them well.